For a drug as powerful as heroin, certain withdrawal symptoms should be expected. According to the Mayo Clinic these symptoms may include but not be limited to:
- Anxiety, fatigue, sweating, vomiting, depression, seizures, and hallucinations.
- Loss of appetite, night sweats, restlessness, shakiness, weakness, clammy skin, craving, feeling cold, or sweating.
- Whole body muscle aches, excessive hunger, lethargy, loss of appetite, night sweats, restlessness, shakiness, weakness, clammy skin, craving, feeling cold, or sweating.
One could also have gastrointestinal issues such as:
- Stomach cramps
Behavioral symptoms from heroin withdrawal can include:
The psychological symptoms can include:
- Severe anxiety
Sleep issues include:
- Sleeping difficulty
Cognitive issues are as well part of heroin withdrawal. They include:
- Mental confusion
- Racing thoughts
- Slowness in activity
Mood symptoms of heroin withdrawal are:
- Feeling detached from self
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities
Other symptoms of heroin withdrawal include congestion or runny nose and dilated pupils or watery eyes. Additional symptoms are seizures, sensitivity to pain, slurred speech, teeth chattering, tingling feet, trembling, or tremors.
Physically, long-term heroin addicts in withdrawal can appear thin and unhealthy. They may also have problems with mobility and project an overall sense of confusion. More often than not, long-term addicts in withdrawal are malnourished, which is caused by an inadequate diet or failing to eat at all.
In some cases of long-term heroin abuse can occur as few as six hours after an addict’s last fix.
If you feel you or a loved one has an issue with heroin, contact BLVD Treatment Centers. At BLVD Treatment Centers we custom tailor our recovery programs within the safe and nurturing confines of our rehab treatment centers. Located throughout California, in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and in Portland, OR, our mission is to assess the severity of your addiction to help you achieve true recovery within 30 days. Call us now at 1-866.582.9844.