Does Smoking Weed Make You Skinny?
It’s only natural to ask this, especially if you are very concerned about your appearance and overall health. After all, being too underweight is never healthy. So then, does smoking weed make you skinny?
Normally, that wouldn’t be the case, as marijuana tends to make you extremely hungry – not to mention sedentary. Thus, you’d think that you would end up gaining weight as opposed to losing it.
However, the truth seems to be a bit different. For one, a study conducted by the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health and University of Nebraska found that marijuana users generally tend to have a smaller waist circumference than those who don’t smoke marijuana.
Moreover, smoking marijuana can apparently enhance your metabolism. That’s because the THC found in marijuana stimulates the production of ghrelin – an appetite stimulator, essentially (yes, that’s why you end up being so hungry when you smoke marijuana).
Now, ghrelin doesn’t just make you feel hungry. It also does an excellent job when it comes to helping your body break down and metabolize carbohydrates.
As a result, even though you tend to consume more calories when smoking marijuana, you are very likely to not gain a surplus of weight. You might actually lose some instead!
Everything sounds pretty good, right?
Well, there’s a catch, of course – specifically, the way marijuana use can influence the levels of fasting insulin in your body.
If you don’t know what fasting insulin is, it’s basically the insulin in your body prior to eating anything. It’s a hormone responsible for regulating glucose in your system so that your cells can function properly and ensure you are healthy.
So then, what does marijuana have to do with this? Well, a study found out that marijuana users generally have fasting insulin levels that are up to 16% lower than their non-smoking counterparts.
On the one hand, that doesn’t sound too bad, as high levels of fasting insulin are not healthy at all since they cause insulin resistance, which is a sign of Type 2 diabetes.
But on the other hand, low fasting insulin levels are not a good sign either. That’s because very low fasting insulin levels are a sign of Type 1 diabetes!
So, Does Smoking Weed Make You Skinny or Not?
The research seems to say that yes, it does. Of course, it’s not likely that using marijuana will cause you to become too underweight. Still, being skinny does mean dealing with various health issues, such as:
- Heart Disease
- A Weak Immune System
- Fertility Issues
And when you take the diabetes aspect into consideration, there’s plenty of reason to be concerned about your health if you are a regular marijuana user.
What’s more, being a heavy marijuana smoker comes with a myriad of other problems as well.
The Dangers of Being a Heavy Marijuana Smoker
Not many people know this, but if you smoke marijuana too often, there is a chance you’ll end up dealing with marijuana use disorder. Basically, it’s similar to drug addiction.
Plus, if you have been smoking marijuana for a long time, it means your body has gotten used to the chemicals found in the drug. As a result, if you ever stop smoking marijuana, it’s very likely you will end up struggling with painful withdrawal symptoms:
- Intense Anxiety
- Constant Yawning
- Stomach Discomfort
- Disturbing Dreams
- Unexplained Hunger
And since THC has a particularly long-lasting effect on your system, you will probably continue experiencing these withdrawal symptoms up to a few weeks or even months if you are very unlucky.
Furthermore, you should keep in mind that there are certain factors which can influence how bad your withdrawal symptoms will get:
- How long you have been smoking marijuana for.
- What amount of marijuana you use.
- How often you smoke marijuana.
- If there is a history of drug abuse in your family.
- If you take any other drugs alongside marijuana.
- If you drink alcohol alongside smoking marijuana.
Lastly, we also have to mention that if you continue smoking marijuana, you are very likely to develop severe health complications in the long run:
- Persistent Red Eyes
- Immunity Suppression
- Periodontal (Gum) Disease
- An Early Onset of Psychosis
- Increased Prolactin Levels in Women
- Decreased Sperm Count
- Decreased Testosterone
- Increased Risk of Respiratory Issues
- Increased Risk of Lung Cancer
- Impaired Judgment and Cognition
Clearly, “Does smoking weed make you skinny?” will be the last thing on your mind if you ever get to this point.
So, What Can You Do? How Can You Keep Yourself Safe?
Naturally, the main thing you should do is stop smoking marijuana. However, that’s not so simple since you are likely to deal with unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Well, in this case, your best option is to seek professional assistance. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t do a few things to alleviate the discomfort caused by withdrawal until you find the help you need:
- Engage in regular exercise, as it will enhance your metabolism, get rid of stress and anxiety, and help you feel better from a psychological/emotional point of view.
- Eat food rich in potassium like bananas, tomatoes, and melons, for example. Why? Because you will be dealing with a lot of sweating, which will lower the levels of potassium in your body.
- Stop drinking anything that has caffeine in it, so that you can sleep better.
- Take a hot bath as often as you can. It will help you relax better, and it will alleviate any discomfort caused by muscle aches.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Don’t forget that besides sweating, you will be dealing with nausea and vomiting too, and that can easily dehydrate your body.
Still, all these tips are just supposed to act as a short-term fix until you find the assistance you need and deserve.
Luckily, you won’t have to look too far for it, as BLVD Treatment Centers can offer you exactly the kind of specialized care you require right now.
BLVD Treatment Centers – The Best Way to Overcome Marijuana Use Disorder
We understand what you are going through, and we have plenty of experience with helping people in your situation overcome such a struggle in a safe, healthy manner.
What’s more, we offer both inpatient and outpatient services. Thus, you can get exactly the type of assistance you need depending on your situation.
If you have been using marijuana for a very long time, are likely to experience pain and discomfort during your withdrawal, and the question “Does smoking weed make you skinny?” worries you a lot, our inpatient services will offer you exactly what you need:
- Medically-Assisted Detox – Our medical specialists can offer you counter-drugs to ensure you won’t have to deal with any traumatic physical withdrawal symptoms.
- Personalized Rehab – We employ recovery experts who can analyze all the personal and medical data you provide in order to design a complete individualized detox treatment just for you.
- Transport Assistance – Need help getting to our facilities? No problem! We can handle travel arrangements on your behalf, and even ensure you get to travel alongside a sober companion if you want.
- 24/7 Nursing Care – Our staff works round-the-clock to make sure that every single one of your needs is met.
- Proper Privacy – When you check into our inpatient centers, you won’t have to hand over your cell phones and laptops. We respect your privacy, after all.
Speaking of our inpatient facilities, you’ll be happy to know that you will get to spend your recovery at our luxurious, spacious, and very welcoming Corona and Hollywood detox centers. Not only are they located in exclusive, beautiful, and quiet areas, but you’ll also benefit from amazing services and amenities:
- One-on-One Counseling
- Group Therapy Sessions
- HDTV with Cable
- Private/Semi-Private Rooms
- Chef-Prepared Gourmet Meals
- Psychiatric Evaluations
- A Quality Aftercare Program
- An Overall Relaxing Environment’
In case you aren’t such a heavy marijuana user, and just need proper support and motivation, you can always rely on our intensive outpatient programs. They are a great option if you went through inpatient detox and are looking for post-rehab assistance as well.
What do you stand to gain by opting for our outpatient treatments? Wonderful services and activities, for one:
- Equine/Art/Music Therapy
- Yoga, Tai-Chi, or Qi-Gong
- SMART Recovery
- Holistic Recovery
- Drum Circles
- Relapse Prevention
- Process Therapy Groups
- Wellness Groups
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Family System Approaches
- Unique Boutique Facilities
- A Wide Array of Recovery Tracks:
- Primetime Recovery
- LGBTQ-Affirmative Recovery
- 12-Step-Based Recovery
- Non-12-Step-Based Recovery
Furthermore, we offer access to educational courses that address all sorts of important subjects:
- How to make sure you don’t relapse post-rehab.
- How to handle social and addiction-related triggers.
- Is it possible to have a healthy relationship during recovery?
- How to re-adjust to family dynamics during recovery.
- Does smoking weed make you skinny, and can you reverse the damage?
- How to better manage stress and free time post-rehab.
We should also mention that we offer 2 very flexible programs, so you won’t have to drastically alter your day-to-day schedule one bit:
- The Day Program – You can take advantage of our quality support programs Monday through Friday, from 10AM to 4PM.
- The Night Program – For those of you who are busier during the day, we also have treatment options every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6PM to 9PM.
Lastly, you should know that you’ll be able to choose between numerous outpatient centers located in many cities throughout the country:
Does Smoking Weed Make You Skinny? Call 888-537-6671 to Get the Answers and Assistance You Deserve
You can contact us at any time, as we are available 24/7. Moreover, our phones are manned by recovery specialists, so you will definitely get the info you seek. That, and they will help you choose the right detox treatment.
And don’t worry about your privacy being in danger. We make sure that every single phone call you make is 100% confidential.
We even go the extra mile and don’t keep any insurance records and credit cards on file. That’s how much we care about your private data!
As for payments, here is what you must know:
- First of all, our specialists will get in touch with your insurance provider to see if they can fully cover your rehab costs. Eligibility can usually be determined within the same day.
- If that isn’t possible, you might be eligible for some of our very inclusive financial assistance programs instead.
- Alternatively, we also provide access to budget-friendly private payment plans. Our fees are billed monthly and bi-weekly.
Best of all – there are no waitlists involved! In fact, most of our patients can usually start their recovery within 24 hours of contacting us.
Oh, and our recovery experts will be in touch with you until you arrive at our facilities. So, you’ll never feel like you are on your own.
So, call 888-537-6671 or contact us online. Stop asking yourself “Does smoking weed make you skinny, and can it harm my health?” and let experienced recovery specialists offer you proper info and help you regain full control of your life.