Side Effects Or Withdrawal Symptoms: The Misinterpretation
When it comes to gabapentin withdrawal, it’s not very easy to tell if you are dealing with drug abuse or not. How so? Well, that’s because gabapentin causes various side effects that can be misinterpreted as withdrawal symptoms:
- Memory Loss
- Double Vision
- Jerky Movements
- Red, Itchy Eyes
- Ear Pain
- Back Pain
- Joint Pain
- Dry Mouth
- Nausea and Vomiting
That’s quite the list, right?
Well, if you experience any of those side effects, that doesn’t necessarily mean you are addicted to gabapentin – also known as Neurontin. Still, it does mean you should seek immediate medical care, as your body might not be reacting well to the drug.
Now, allegedly, gabapentin has a very low addiction potential. Normally, you’d think there is users are not at risk of engaging in gabapentin abuse.
Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case. That’s because many people end up using gabapentin in a non-medical way, as they want to intensify the “high” effect that drug creates. In fact, according to a study, around 22% of gabapentin users said they did just that.
Now, we’re not saying you do that too. Though, even if you were to do it, we wouldn’t judge you. After all, we understand how easy it is to become a victim of addiction when exposed to such drugs.
Not to mention that there’s still a chance you might become dependent on gabapentin even if you take it with a prescription for a long time.
So, if you want to be sure you’re in the clear, there’s only one way to tell. If you experience any of these gabapentin withdrawal symptoms after you stop taking the drug, it means you are struggling with gabapentin dependence:
- Intense Anxiety
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Severe Pain
- Muscle Spasms
- Serious Mood Swings
Normally, these symptoms start acting up around 6 hours after you took your last dose of gabapentin. They might last up to a week. However, unfortunately, there’s also the chance that the withdrawal symptoms will keep occurring up to a couple of months after you last took gabapentin!
We know it sounds rather bad, but there are some things you can do to alleviate your withdrawal symptoms, such as:
- Take magnesium supplements – Since gabapentin attaches itself to the same chemical receptors in your brain as magnesium, you can take supplements during withdrawal to lessen the severity of some of the symptoms.
- Find some time to meditate – Setting some time aside to meditate in a quiet place can do wonders for your mental well-being in this situation – not to mention it will help you relax to prevent stress from getting out of hand.
- Go for a jog – Or do any type of cardio exercise you like. This way, you will have an easier time dealing with the intense anxiety that will occur during withdrawal.
Just remember that these pointers won’t help you overcome the addiction. They will just make it easier to power through the withdrawal phase until you get the medical help you need.
Also, there’s something else you must know. There are certain aspects that can impact your withdrawal process.
4 Factors That Can Influence Your Gabapentin Withdrawal
We should also add that you don’t have to experience each and every single withdrawal symptom for it to be true that you’re dealing with gabapentin dependence.
What’s more, there are a couple of factors that can influence how severe your gabapentin withdrawal might be:
1. The Dosage
The larger the dose of gabapentin, the more difficult your withdrawal process will be.
Normally, if you take gabapentin under medical supervision, you will start out with a small dose. Unfortunately, the dose will eventually increase over time. Plus, keep in mind that some doctors prescribe 10-15 mg of gabapentin per kilogram of bodyweight.
Which takes us to our next factor.
2. Your Physiology
Keeping in mind what we just said, it’s quite obvious that if you weigh more, you will be taking a larger dose of gabapentin.
Thus, it’s extremely likely that your withdrawal process will be much more unpleasant.
Also, if your body is naturally more sensitive to medication withdrawal symptoms, the whole process might take longer and be harder to deal with for you.
3. How Long You’ve Been Taking Gabapentin for
It’s no secret that the longer you take a drug, the more difficult it is to quit it. It’s the same thing with gabapentin.
What’s more, if you’ve been taking gabapentin for a long period, it means you’ve also been taking a larger dose.
4. How You Try to Quit Gabapentin
There’s a difference between trying to quit “cold turkey” and tapering, which involves slowly reducing the amount of gabapentin you take over time.
Naturally, tapering will take longer, especially if you were taking a large dose. In theory, going “cold turkey” should be faster, but it’s also more dangerous.
Whichever the case, we advise you don’t try to do anything like this all by yourself. It’s better to turn to professional help instead.
Don’t Try to Deal with Gabapentin Withdrawal on Your Own
We’re not saying this to put you down and make you feel powerless. We’re offering this advice because we care about you, and we want you to safely overcome your addiction.
As it stands, if you try to quit gabapentin on your own – especially “cold turkey” – you can experience seizures. The risk is even higher if you’ve been taking gabapentin to treat seizure disorders.
That’s not all, though. During withdrawal, you are very likely to experience intense drug cravings from time to time. Sure, you might have an iron will, but trust us when we say this: The cravings can become extremely unbearable.
What’s more, if you give in to the cravings, you risk going overboard with how much gabapentin you take. In turn, that can cause a gabapentin overdose!
So, what’s the solution then?
Well, here’s why we recommend you opt for residential detox services.
How Inpatient Detox Can Help You in Your Fight against Gabapentin Withdrawal
Here are the services residential rehab centers can provide you with:
- Thorough Counseling Sessions – During inpatient rehab, you’ll be able to discuss your addiction abuse issues with trained experts. This way, you might be able to get to the true root of your problems. That, and you will very likely learn new insight about yourself.
- Group Therapy – Talking about your gabapentin dependence struggles with a group of people who share the same experience as you will definitely offer you the motivation and emotional support you need during such a trying time in your life. Plus, you might even establish new friendships this way – friendships that might last for life.
- Quality Medical Assistance – Withdrawal symptoms will not cause you to relapse during rehab, as you will barely experience any of them thanks to the medical supervision you will enjoy.
- 24/7 Program – Usually, there will always be somebody you can rely on for help when you require it, as a residential rehab center’s staff works round-the-clock to make sure you have everything you need.
- An Emotionally-Secure Environment – In an inpatient detox center, you won’t have to worry about anyone judging you – which would be the last thing you’d need right now! You will see that the people there will understand your condition, and will do everything in their power to make sure you don’t experience any negative emotions.
Everything sounds great?
We’re happy to hear that. Just remember to choose the best inpatient detox facility.
BLVD Treatment Centers – The Best Way to Overcome Gabapentin Withdrawal
We don’t just offer you the assistance you need. We actually provide the assistance you deserve. We’ve been helping drug abuse victims overcome their addictions in a safe, emotionally-secure, and proper way for some years now.
To get things started, we should mention that we offer medically-assisted detox services – which is exactly what you need right now. Simply put, with the help of our medical specialists, you will not have to worry about experiencing any painful and traumatic withdrawal symptoms.
Not only that, but there’s no risk you will become addicted to the counter-drugs, as you will be under constant medical supervision.
In fact, our treatment experts will also create an individualized recovery program according to your exact needs, social background, and potential medical conditions. This way, you will enjoy peace of mind knowing that nothing could go wrong.
Furthermore, we would also like to add that we can handle travel arrangements on your behalf. After all, you shouldn’t be dealing with such stressful things in this situation. What’s more, if you want, we can make it possible for you to travel alongside a sober companion.
It doesn’t stop there, though. You’ll definitely love our Hollywood and Corona residential detox facilities. They are located in exclusive neighborhoods, are very spacious, and provide you with all the comfort and luxury you would need during your rehab period.
Of course, we also provide amazing services and amenities:
- HDTV with Cable
- 24/7 Nursing Care
- Social Outings
- Group Therapy
- One-on-One Counseling
- Psychiatric Evaluations
- Chef-Prepared Gourmet Meals
- A Quality Aftercare Program
Plus, our inpatient detox facilities are surrounded by beautiful views, so we guarantee you’ll enjoy a relaxing, stress-free recovery.
Furthermore, you can also opt for our outpatient treatment programs or services when you finish your inpatient detox. This way, you won’t feel like you’re all on your own, and there is no relapse risk involved.
What can you take advantage of if you attend our outpatient programs? Well, here are some of the highlights:
- Equine/Art/Music Therapy
- Drum Circles
- Nutritious Culinary Services
- Wellness Groups
We also provide educational courses that can help you properly understand gabapentin withdrawal, and that can help you re-learn valuable life skills so that you can better adjust to living a sober life.
And no, you don’t have to drastically alter your newly found day-to-day freedom. We actually offer 2 very flexible programs:
- The Day Program – We are there for you Monday through Friday, from 10AM to 4PM.
- The Night Program – We can offer you the support and motivation you deserve every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6PM to 9PM.
At the moment, we have outpatient facilities in various cities across the country:
Call 8885376671 to Get the Most Efficient Gabapentin Withdrawal Treatment There Is
Our treatment experts are available 24/7, and they will answer any questions you have. Not only that, but we also make sure that every single phone call you make is fully confidential.
What’s more, our experts will closely work with your insurance provider and assess your financial info. That’s because it’s very likely that your insurance will cover your rehab costs.
If that doesn’t work, you might be eligible for some of our financial assistance programs instead. You can even rely on private payment plans if you prefer that option. And yes, we really mean “private” when we say it, as we don’t keep any credit cards and insurance records on file.
So, give us a call at 8885376671 or get in touch with us online – whatever you do, you will be on your way to achieving full independence and overcoming your addiction within 24 hours!